Dress code and etiquette
We ask all members, guests and visitors to respect and follow our dress code and on-course etiquette.
Not allowed anywhere
- Trainers, denim jeans, tracksuits, cargo-style trousers and sports shorts
- Golf hats and visors worn back to front
- Ladies' sun tops
Dress code on the Course
- Collared shirts must be worn, with short or long sleeves, and must be tucked into trousers or shorts. (T-shirts, football, rugby and other non-golfing sports shirts are not allowed.)
- Tailored shorts may be worn provided they are accompanied by either plain-coloured knee-length socks or white sports socks which must cover the ankles.
- Players and caddies must wear golf shoes, preferably (dependent upon weather conditions) with soft spikes.
- Ladies' skirts or tailored shorts should not be more than 4 inches above the knee.
- Ladies' shirts, whether with sleeves or without, must have a collar and need not be tucked in.
Dress code in the clubhouse
- Smart casual is the general rule, which may include clean and dry golf clothing but does not include golf hats or visors or water or windproof outer garments.
- Men are not allowed to wear shorts in the clubhouse after 10.00am.
- The smart casual dress code never applies in the Harry Colt Bar where men must always observe the jacket, collar and tie rule (unless, and most exceptionally, a relaxed code concession applies).
Mobile phones and similar devices
Mobile phones are not allowed and should be turned off. They may be used, however:
- in the car park; and
- in silent mode and only for diary purposes (regarding fellow members) in the clubhouse or patio.
Etiquette on the Course
Please observe the following rules of etiquette on the course:
- Avoid unnecessary delay; we consider that the target time for a four-ball is three-and-a-half hours.
- Ensure you tee off promptly.
- Replace divots.
- Rake bunkers, leaving the rake in the bunker parallel to the line of play.
- Repair pitch marks on greens and aprons.
- Only wide-wheeled trolleys are permitted and should not be wheeled between bunkers and greens or beyond the white line at the entry to each green.
- Golf bags and trolleys are not permitted in the changing rooms or foyer. They should be placed in the covered walkway or in your car after play.